Chipotle Shares Sink After This Was Found At A Virginia Restaurant

Chipotle saw its shares go down 5% on Tuesday after the company confirmed that several of its customers at a Sterling, Virginia location had reported having symptoms of norovirus after eating there.

There have been eight cases so far that have been reported to the website iwaspoisoned.com between the dates of
July 14th and July 17th, with the reports claiming symtoms that include vomiting, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, as well as in some cases hospitalization.

It was Business Insider that broke the story of the issues reported to the website and Chipotle’s executive director of food safety, Jim Marsden, has said Chipotle has notified local health department officials on what’s going on.

Marsden commented, “Norovirus does not come from our food supply, and it is safe to eat at Chipotle. We plan to reopen the restaurant today. We take every report of illness seriously. In accordance with our established protocols, our team is working to ensure the safety of our customers and employees, including voluntarily closing the restaurant yesterday to conduct a complete sanitization.”

Chipotle has barely been coming back after it suffered sales and lost customers after an outbreak of illness two years ago.

Disclaimer: We have no position in Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE: CMG) and have not been compensated for this article.

Sofia Vida

Sofia has been writing for major news outlets for over 15 years. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, walking her dogs, and going to concerts.

sophia-villa has 1959 posts and counting.See all posts by sophia-villa