It’s not often that someone accused of sexual harassment countless times gets fired but also stands to collect $25 million as a payout.
Women’s groups and the lawyers of his accusers are angry that the former Fox News host could stand to collect this amount of money despite being ousted after a huge sexual harassment scandal was centered around him.
According to sources familiar with the matter, the former host is receiving a payout of as much as $25 million.
“It’s terrible,” said Lisa Bloom. Bloom is the lawyer that represents two women who reported sexual harassment allegations against Mr. O’Reilly. “Most people would consider $25 million a huge lottery win.”
Mr. O’Reilly, 67, was let go on Wednesday with Rupert, Lachlan and James Murdoch, the top executives at 21st Century Fox, stating in a memo that they had a “consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.”
“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” 21st Century Fox, the parent company of Fox News, said in a statement.
Fox News had been under fire as a New York Times investigation revealed that despite mounting sexual harassment allegations, the network still stood by O’Reilly.
According to the NY Times investigation, 21st Century Fox and Mr. O’Reilly had reached settlements with five women who had complained about sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by him. The agreements totaled about $13 million.